Commit messages indicate what programming languages make people swear the most
“Cussing in Commits: Which Programming Language Inspires the Most Swearing?” is a great read. It refers to someone who has analyzed commit messages on GitHub to determine which programming language caused committers to swear the most.
The ranking is as follows (quoting from the post):
- C++ takes top honors, but just barely.
neck behind C++.
- After that it drops off considerably with C, Java and
C# placing in the middle.
- Python and PHP developers are either very
happy about using those languages, or perhaps just very mild-mannered
- I find it hard to get past my own taste. One example that is actually minor, but always gets me, is where
it when it isn’t in the same line as the brace-opening
statement. Yet there is no rational reason for this, just my taste. To me, it just looks wrong.
- I don’t trust programmers who swear a lot. It often has to do with ignorance. Yes, you hate that piece of code, but there is a reason it is there. Even very good programmers frequently write bad code. My own experience is that only iterations and code reviews lead to good code.
- The article’s favorite commit message: “fuck it. let’s release.”. Funny.