“Find My iPhone” requires an Apple ID that is an email address
When I tried to activate “Find My iPhone
” (FMi), I got the error message “MobileMe requires an Apple ID that is an email address”. This is how I fixed the problem:
- Old Apple IDs are just a name like “smith”, not an email address like “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
- You can go to your account settings in iTunes and change this name to an email address so that FMi won’t complain, any more.
- However, when I tried to do so, I found out that I had a very old account (that I had never used on iTunes) whose name was that email address. Thus, I could not rename the original account.
- You cannot easily delete accounts, so I logged into the old account, had to enter my credit card information (grrr!), and then could change its name to something completely different.
- Now my email address was free and I could switch to it at the original account.