The cost of iCloud per device
In the Q3 earnings Call on July 19, Apple detailed how it will pay for the iCloud services – it defers revenue from its devices. All sums additionally cover the costs for minor operating system upgrades.
- $22 per Mac over a period of 4 years.
- $16 per iPhone and iPad over a period of 2 years.
- $11 per iPod touch over a period of 2 years.
In other words: iCloud is not really free, it’s just that Macs and iOS devices have become a little cheaper and now come bundled with it.
- Source of this post: “Apple Management Discusses Q3 2011 Results – Earnings Call Transcript” [via MacRumors]
- Apple’s iCloud: stealing a page from Google and more