Reinventing the tire – without air
It’s a dream come true: drive a vehicle without worrying about a flat tire or insufficient air pressure. Bridgestone has presented a concept for “airless tires”.
|Bridgestone airless tire (source: )|
Instead of via air, the new tires stay flexible via spokes made out of a thermoplastic resin (a polymer compound that can be shaped while heated and remains fixed when cooled).
- Completely recyclable (one of the goals of the project).
- The tires can carry loads of up to 150kg. Quoting Inhabitat :
So far, the company has been testing the airless concept on a small one-seat electric vehicle [weighing about 50kg], and it plans to continue developing the technology for wider commercial use.
- Remaining challenge: preventing objects from getting caught in the spokes.
- Advantage for cars: no need to carry a spare tire, resulting in space and weight savings.
This technology would be especially nice for bicycles where punctures are the
- “Bridgestone's New Air-Free Tires are 100% Recyclable | Inhabitat - Green Design Will Save the World” by Mark Boyer for Inhabitat
- Video: “Bridgestone Air-Free Concept Tyres” by DigInfo TV